Connecticut bowler celebrates 50 years at Open Championships

RENO, Nev. – William Monty of Woodstock, Connecticut, reached an important participation milestone Tuesday at the United States Bowling Congress Open Championships, making his 50th appearance at one of bowling’s most prestigious events.

The achievement reflects Monty’s dedication, consistency and passion for the sport, and to commemorate the occasion, he was joined by teammates William Kitfield, Monty Baswell, James Hinshaw and David Wilk for a ceremonial walk down the center aisle at the National Bowling Stadium, drawing applause from fellow competitors and spectators in attendance.

He was presented with a plaque, chevron and diamond lapel pin as part of joining the tournament’s 50-Year Club.

Monty’s Open Championships journey began in 1973 in Syracuse, New York. Since then, he has traveled to cities across the country to compete in the tournament year after year. He’s made it back to the tournament each year to compete since 1979.

Among the many host cities he has visited during his remarkable run to 50 appearances, Billings, Montana, in 2002 remains especially memorable.

“Billings, Montana, was by far my favorite,” Monty said. “I would like to go back there again.”

Over the course of his Open Championships career, Monty has knocked down 79,774 pins while maintaining a 178.4 average, a testament to both his longevity and consistency on the lanes.

Despite reaching the 50-year milestone, Monty has no plans to step away from the tournament anytime soon.

“I love the tournament, and I will be back,” Monty said.

The Open Championships is celebrating its 122nd edition in 2026 and making its 15th trip to Reno, Nevada. The 2026 event is scheduled to feature more than 55,000 bowlers and 11,000 five-player teams competing across 128 consecutive days at the National Bowling Stadium.

Follow the action from the tournament’s official Facebook and Instagram accounts.